Morality

Morality

Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Tom Robinson's Trial

The trial of Tom Robinson was abguably the main event in "To Kill a Morckingbird".
To recap the trial, it started off with a testimony by Heck Tate, "'Hush,' said Jem, 'Mr. Heck Tate's testifyin,'". Heck Tate recalled what he saw happen, "'Mr. Ewell came in.. said get out to his house quick, some n*****'d raped his girl'", "'Found her lying on the floor... pretty well beat up...'". Heck Tate's story mostly ruled in favor with Bob Ewells story.
Then, Bob Ewell testified. "'I heard Mayella screamin'...", "'I seen that black n***** yonder...'". They also found out Bob Ewell was left-handed,showing that he could have blackened Mayella's right eye.
After that, Mayella testified. "''Fore I knew it he was on me.'"
Finally, Tom Robinson testified. "'...She'd grabbed me round th' legs."
After that, the jury left to make a decision. Ultimately, they ruled that Tom was guilty.

This trial was a train wreck from the start. First of all, the stories had lots of holes in them. The fact that they "Didn't think" to call a doctor was extremely shifty. The testifiers also avoided questions, acted childish, and refused to even think about modifying their testimonies.

The trial should have been handled differently. The testifiers should have been more inclined to tell the whole truth. Bob Ewell shouldn't have made his distasteful comments. Peoples emotions should have been kept in check. I understand the event could have been very stressful (What with everyone being put on the spot, and talking about an event that was troubling for all.), obviously some people couldn't control their emotions like civil adults, and in Mayella's case, it was nearly obvious that she was playing the court. The jury should have not taken into account race.

I will say, though, that in the 1930's these ideals were far-fetched at best. I'll give the jury credit for taking a while to come to a decision.

A case similar to this trail was the conviction of Duane Buck. Buck, a black man, was sentenced to the death penalty.

The reason was because he was black. The prosecutor argued that because he was black, he posed a violent tendency not found in white men, and that he posed a greater threat if he was not killed.

As liberal as I am, I have a trait not commonly found in liberalism. I am a firm believer in the death penalty. I only believe it should happen if the evidence is 100% confirmed, or the offender confesses to the crime. Duane Buck killed his girlfriend and a man in her house. Normally I would condone this sentence put on him. However, the jury mainly ruled him guilty because of his race.

Fortunately, his case is being reviewed on the basis of an unfairly conducted trial.

All in all, both cases were an injustice, and morally wrong.


1 comment:

  1. I like your comparison to the book and real events. I am indecisive about the death penalty because I don't like the thought of just killing a person. But I also think about the saying "An eye for an eye", which I also believe in. I guess when it comes to things like this, it is really a battle between personal morals and evidence.

    ReplyDelete